More and more my clients are telling me they feel lonely and have a lack of community in their lives.
These clients have said they have friends, but they’re pretty superficial with them.
Things are good as long as they’re talking about the weather, the kids, the kid’s school, their diet, etc. You know. Surface level stuff.
These days it seems no one wants to have deep, meaningful conversations. No one wants to get vulnerable, but that’s also the one thing we’re all craving!
We want to know we’re not the only one who yelled at their kids for the 18th time this week.
We want to know we’re not the only ones who dread having sex with their husbands because it feels like one more thing to do.
We want to know that we’re not the only one scared to death that something is going to happen to them or their children because our anxiety is at an all time high.
Life is FULL of ups and downs, and in our social media driven world, most of the time all we see are the ups!
We need community and connection to help us deal with the downs.
Keeping our problems to ourselves does nothing to help us move beyond them.
Feeling like we have to deal with everything on our own can turn into resentment and anger.
It seems difficult to “go there” with many of our friends, but it just takes being brave one time to break the ice and get to more meaningful conversation.
Here are some of my favorite conversation starters that can help get the conversation flowing on a deeper level:
- Ask a friend how she is, then when she responds with the typical “Oh, I’m fine,” ask her again. “No. Really. I want to know. How ARE you?”
- “Is there anything going on right now that you could use some extra support with?”
- “What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to do?”
- Admit your own struggle and ask for her support or advice. “You know it’s really hard for me to admit this right now, but I’d love to have a little advice…”
- Have a “year end” conversation and ask what her greatest success was this year and what she struggled the most with this year. Then share your own.
- Have a favorite/least favorite conversation about anything...what’s your favorite thing about being a mom? What’s your least favorite thing about being a mom? Then share your own.
- Often times opening ourselves up automatically puts the other person at ease. They feel flattered that you’re willing to trust them with the conversation. They feel relieved that they’re not alone feeling the same thing or similar.
It can be uncomfortable to be vulnerable, for sure.
But it has big payoffs. It creates real connection and community.
One thing I love about technology is the ability to create community no matter where we live.
I’ve done that in my Facebook group. It’s a great space to connect, get support, and have real conversations with other like minded women.
I’d love to see you there! Click here to join the group!
P.S. HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT MY BIG GIVEAWAY!?
There’s nothing better than this time of year when we start thinking about all the things we want to change and accomplish in the new year ahead.
It’s so exciting to think about all the possibilities!
You’ve got BIG goals and BIG dreams. And sometimes those big plans can get a little overwhelming without support.
That’s why I’m SUPER excited to let y’all know that I’M DOING A GIVEAWAY!!!
And this isn’t just any ol’ giveaway. There will be NINE winners!
Here’s what you can win:
- A three month 1:1 coaching package with me so you can get clear on your goals and start making what matters most to you happen instead of your plans fizzling out by February 1st.
- A 2018 Powersheets Intentional Goal Planner by Lara Casey...one of my absolute favorite tools for making sure my goals are aligned with what I want most in life and for helping me live intentionally every day.
- A 2018 Get To Work Book by Elise Blaha Cripe...another one of my favorite tools! This planner is where I schedule my day to day priorities and activities. I especially love the project planning pages!
- One of six spaces in a virtual vision board workshop...we’ll work together online digging deep to discover how you want to feel and what you’d like to accomplish in 2018.
Who wouldn’t want all this awesomeness?! Did I mention it’s a FREE giveaway?
I know you’re serious about growing and creating the best life you can. So take a stand for yourself and give yourself a gift by entering this giveaway!
Click the link below to sign up and fill out a short application (to help me with market research) and to be entered to win one of these 9 amazing prizes!